University of California MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program
University of California MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program scholarship is a partnership between the University of California, Berkeley and MasterCard Foundation for undergraduate and postgraduate studies. The scholarship provides next-generation leaders who are committed to the economic and social transformation of their continent with access to quality education.
This program supports 113 academically talented, yet financially disadvantaged students from Africa in completing a university education, while fostering their leadership skills and their capacity to give back to their communities.
University of California MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program Eligibility Criteria
The main eligibility criteria for MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program are:
- Being a citizen of a Sub-Saharan African country
- Having academic talent
- Demonstrating leadership potential
- Coming from a socio-economically disadvantaged background
- Having demonstrated the commitment to give back to your community, country, or continent
- Having expressed the desire and intention to return to your home country after completing your studies.
Accepted Fields Of Study
- Architecture (M.Arch)
- Art (MFA)
- Business Administration (MBA)
- City & Regional Planning (MCP)
- Development Practice (MDP)
- Education (DMS, EMST, or MUSE)
- Energy & Resources (ERG)
- Engineering (M.Eng, MS)
- Master of Engineering (M.Eng), various concentrations
- Master of Science Civil and Environmental Engineering (MS)
- Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (MS)
- Mechanical Engineering (MS)
- Master of Development Engineering (M.DevEng)
- Master of Design (M.Des)
- Folklore (MA)
- Journalism (MJ)
- Information Management & Systems (MIMS)
- Public Health
- Masters of Public Health (MPH), various concentrations
- Masters of Science (MS), Environmental Health Sciences and Epidemiology
- Masters of Arts (MA), Biostatistics
- Public Policy (MPP)
- Social Welfare (MSW)
- LL.M. Programs – Traditional and Thesis Track only
University of California MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program Scholarship Value
MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program receive a comprehensive scholarship equivalent to the costs associated with earning a master’s degree, which includes travel, tuition, Berkeley student fees, visa and SEVIS fees, housing, food, living expenses, and cohort signature programs which will focus on leadership and entrepreneurship.
Master’s degree applicants must first apply to a graduate program before they will be considered for the Mastercard Foundations Scholars Program. Not all degree programs are eligible.
Each eligible graduate degree program has specific requirements and applicants should carefully review those. The Graduate Division also provides detailed information on the admissions process for international students. Direct questions regarding admission requirements should be made to the specific graduate program.
Click here to apply