Hungarian Diaspora Scholarship
The Hungarian Diaspora Scholarship was established by the Hungarian Government as a scholarship program for students who are part of the Hungarian diaspora living outside of Europe and who wish to pursue higher education at a Hungarian higher education institution in order to strengthen their personal, professional, and cultural ties to Hungary. Additionally, it helps the scholarship recipients progress professionally by providing them with a top-notch Hungarian higher education that will further enable them to contribute to their community once they graduate and return to their home country.
Hungarian Diaspora Scholarship Coverage
- Exemption from the payment of tuition fee.
- Health care services according to the relevant Hungarian legislation (Act 122/2019, Eligibility for Social Security Benefits and the Funding for These Services) and supplementary medical insurance for up to HUF 65,000 (ca. $203) a year/person
- Non-degree, bachelor’s, master’s, and one-tier master’s level: monthly amount of HUF 43,700 (ca. $136) contribution to the living expenses in Hungary, for 12 months a year
- Doctoral-level program: according to the current Hungarian legislation, the monthly amount of scholarship is HUF 140,000 (ca. $437) for the first phase of education (4 semesters) and HUF 180,000 (ca. $562)
- For the second phase (4 semesters) – for 12 months a year, until completion of studies. The scholarship holder in the doctoral program grant only a one-time amount of subsidy HUF 400,000 (ca. $1250) after obtaining the diploma, in case the scholarship holder received a monthly allowance during the last semester of his/her studies.
Travel contribution (upon request):
- the scholarship also includes a travel component, based on which, taking into account the distance between Budapest and the city of the scholarship holder’s place of residence, it provides a one-occasion travel allowance of HUF 330,000 between 8,000 and 19,999 km upon request (the distance is calculated based on the Erasmus+ Distance Calculator).
- Free dormitory place or a contribution of HUF 40,000/month to accommodation costs for the whole duration of the scholarship period. (Please note that if the student does not live in the dormitory, the HUF 40,000/month is a contribution to the rental costs, and in bigger cities – especially in the capital city – this contribution would not cover the full amount of rental costs.)
Hungarian Diaspora Scholarship Eligible Courses
Bachelor’s programmes in Hungarian:
- Early Childhood Education
- Pre-School Education
- Primary Education
Master’s programme in Hungarian:
- Culture of Early Childhood
Bachelor’s programme in English:
- Kindergarten Education BA programme
Hungarian Diaspora Scholarship Eligibility Criteria
- All international students are eligible to apply.
- Students can apply for a higher education degree at a Hungarian university or college of choice.
To be eligible, the applicants must meet all the following/given criteria:
- The applicants must apply for admission in an eligible institute.
- The applicants must be members of a Hungarian diaspora living in any country outside of the European Union, the Republic of Serbia or the Zakarpattia Oblast of Ukraine.
- Admission applications must be via the university portal of the students’ respective universities. The application can be made online.
The students are required to present the following documents to the university:
- Motivation letter
- Letters of recommendation
- Proof of language
- School certificates and their translation
- Transcripts of records and its translation
- Medical certificate
- Copy of identification document
- Copy of a valid document
- Recommendation letter from a Diaspora Organisation or the Hungarian Diplomatic Representation
- Statement for application
- Research plan
- The applicants must have academic qualifications relevant to the course or level, of course they wish to apply for and meet any additional requirements of their chosen university.
- The students must meet the language requirements of their university and also the course they have applied for, if applicable.
Click here to apply for the Hungarian Diaspora Scholarship