Beijing Government Scholarship
The Beijing Government Scholarship was established as a scholarship fund for foreign students and scholars in Beijing, the first of its kind to be offered by a city government in China. The scholarship is provided by the government, but individuals, companies and organizations are encouraged to contribute to the scholarship fund in the future.
Overview Of The Beijing Government Scholarship
Beijing Government Scholarship (BGS) was established by the municipal government with a goal to provide full or partial quotas for international students, who want to study in Beijing.
Its administrative office is the office of international cooperation and exchange of the Beijing municipal commission of education. Is responsible for the development, consideration, decision-making and everyday management of the distribution Beijing Government Scholarship.
Beijing Government Scholarship 2023-2024 is a fully funded scholarship for international students. The initial fund of the scholarship is 35 million yuan (US$5 million) from the Beijing Municipal Education Commission. The scholarship is classified into three categories with the highest at 40,000 yuan (US$5,700) for each recipient.
The aim of the Beijing Government Scholarship is to attract more foreign students to study in Beijing so as to promote the internationalization of Beijing’s higher education.
Beijing Government Scholarship Summary
Level of Study: Undergraduate, Masters, PhD
Institutions(s): Beijing Universities
Study in: China
Courses Offered: Philosophy, economics, law, education, literature, history, management, science, engineering, agriculture, medicine, and art.
Beijing Government Scholarship Deadline: Between January to June of each year
Beijing Government Scholarship Duration
- Applicants for Bachelor, Masters and Doctoral Degrees in Chinese universities and colleges in Beijing region: duration of scholarship should be under 4 years.
- Applicants for Chinese language training or relevant advanced studies in Chinese universities and colleges in the Beijing region: the duration of scholarship should be under one year.
- Scholars and international students for specialized training in Chinese universities and colleges in Beijing region: the duration of scholarship should be under one year.
- Exchange students or students with outstanding contributions to international education in Beijing: the duration of scholarship should be under one year.
Beijing Government Scholarship Coverage
The Beijing Municipal Government Scholarship for International Students only covers tuition fees.
According to the applicants’ status, the allowance for scholarship students can be classified into 5 types:
- 40,000 RMB/year for a Doctoral degree
- 30,000 RMB/year for a Masters degree
- 20,000 RMB/year/ for a Bachelor degree
- 10,000 RMB/year for a Senior training or long term language program
- 5,000 RMB/year for Exchange students or students with outstanding contributions to international education in Beijing.
Eligibility Criteria for Beijing Government Scholarship
To qualify for Beijing Government Scholarship, candidate must fulfill all of the following requirements below:
- Required Languages: Requirement for the applicant’s language proficiency is based on the requirement of the academic programs and determined by the individual higher learning institution.
- Eligible Countries: All World Countries except Chinese citizens.
- Applicants must be non-Chinese citizens and in good health.
- Applicants for undergraduate studies in Beijing must have completed senior high school with good grades and be under the age of 30.
- Applicants for Masters degree studies in Beijing must have a Bachelor’s degree and be under the age of 35.
- Applicants for Doctoral degree studies in Beijing must have a Master’s degree and be under the age of 40.
- Applicants for advanced studies must have an undergraduate degree or be in the second year of a university course and be under the age of 50.
- Applicants for long term language study must have a high school diploma and be under the age of 60.
- Visiting scholar candidates in Beijing must have a Masters or higher degree or hold academic titles of associate professor or higher, and be under the age of 50.
- Meeting entry requirements of the applied university and program.
- Applicants should not be awardees of Chinese government scholarships at the same time.
Please follow the following step by step application instructions to apply for the Scholarship:
Select a university which offers the Scholarship.
Once you finalize on any university situated in Beijing, visit the website of that University in Beijing for “International Students” and locate Scholarships tab in Scholarships Section, click on Beijing Municipal Government Scholarship.
Here you’ll find the complete procedure guide of that particular University with application forms and required document list.
See below steps for the general procedure:
List of Documents Required:
- Application Form for Scholarship (can be collected from the institutions in Beijing or downloaded from the school’s website)
- Highest diploma and transcript (notarized photocopy).
- Photocopy of Foreigner Physical Examination Form (printed by the Chinese quarantine authority and only for those whose period of study in China is six months or greater).
- Applicants for Degree study or specialized research should submit a study plan (no more than 400 words) or a research plan (no more than 800 words).
- Applicants for music and fine arts are requested to submit personal works.
- Applicants under the age of 18 should submit the legal documents of their legal guardians in China.
- Applicants should submit required documents to the Chinese government office in charge of sending international students to China, relevant offices in the applicants’ home country, or the Chinese diplomatic missions or embassies in the applicants’ home country.
- Applicants may submit documents to Chinese institutions in Beijing directly.
- Institutions of higher education in Beijing will review all application materials of qualified applicants for the scholarship and will be forwarded to the Beijing Government Scholarship for International Students to make a further review.
- Institutions will send the Scholarship Letter, Admission Notice and Visa Application Form for Study in China to applicants who will be confirmed as Scholarship students three months before the opening of the new academic year.
- The application will be seen as invalid and will not be processed if applicants are not qualified or application materials are inconsistent with recruitment regulations or are incomplete.
- Each year, schools will review the academic performance of each scholarship recipient. The scholarship recipient would be disqualified if they violate Chinese laws, disobey school rules or guidelines of the Beijing Municipal Government Scholarship for International Students.
- After students finish studying, institutions will conduct a comprehensive review on each student, and send a report to the Leadership Group for Establishing the Scholarship Program for International Students and put it on record.
Click here to apply